Work experience helps MBA admissions

Dear Madam,

I am currently studying BCom in India. I am interested in studying MBA in finance abroad. Please tell me how to apply for the same and the required exam preparations.

Vikhyat V Nair

Dear Vikhyat,

Most countries would like you to work a few years before pursuing your MBA. While the UK will accept your three-year bachelor’s degree, countries like Germany, France, Denmark, and Sweden prefer students with a four-year degree like BE or BTech. Rather than an MBA in Finance, I suggest you pursue an MSc in Finance or Investment and Risk Management. The only exam you need to take is the IELTS Academic Test.

Dear Madam,

I am a third year BA, LLB (Hons) student at National Law School of India University. However, law has always been my second choice and I wanted to study BSc Economics. I had economics in law school only for two semesters. Is there a master’s program abroad that will allow me to continue studying economics after my law studies?

A student

Dear student,

Universities abroad will accept you for a master’s degree program in pure economics although you come from a background in law with a basic understanding of economics. Although the interdisciplinary Masters in Law and Economics are very popular and in demand around the world, the choice of whether to pursue either of these options is entirely up to you, as you qualify for both courses. While pure economics is offered at most universities, the London School of Economics, Queen Mary University and the University of Manchester are some of the UK universities in demand for the LLM in Law and Economics. The University of Utrecht and the Erasmus University are the two Dutch universities known for this interdisciplinary course.

Dear Madam,

I am pursuing a BCom and plan to do a masters in HR. Please suggest economic countries that will allow me to stay there and work.

Evita richards

Dear Evita,

If you want to go abroad to settle down, the easiest way is to get a student visa. In my opinion, pursuing a masters or masters degree in HR. You can apply for these programs directly after your bachelor’s degree. Countries like UK, Ireland, Canada and New Zealand allow you to stay and work for a few years after your course. In Germany, your tuition fees will be minimal or free. UK and New Zealand will cost around Rs 10 lakh to Rs 20 lakh depending on the university. These two countries allow you to work part-time with your student visa. It certainly helps with your living expenses. Canada and the United States offer two-year programs, making them more expensive both in terms of tuition and living costs for an additional year.

Dear Madam,

I did a bachelor’s degree in dental surgery and now work in a private clinic. I want to do masters in dental surgery. I am planning to go abroad to pursue the same and need some advice. What should I do?


Dear Ashish,

To be admitted to a university with a master’s degree in dental surgery, you just need to take the IELTS or Toefl exam. A few years of clinical experience is advisable before applying to pursue your masters degree.

To be able to practice in another country, you must pass qualifying exams like ORE (British Dental Council’s Overseas Registration Exam) for UK, ADC (Australian Dental Exam) for Australia, the licensing exam conducted by the American Dental Association for practice in the United States and Canada. Some of the top ranked dental schools in the United States are University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Columbia University, Boston University, University of California Los Angeles, University of California San Francisco and Chapel Hill in North Carolina. In Canada, the University of Toronto and the University of British Columbia are the best. In the UK, the University of Manchester, University College London, Queen Mary University, Bristol, Sheffield and Glasgow are well known for their dental programs.

Maria D. Ervin