Want to boost your metabolism? 5 diet tips that work
Want to boost your metabolism? 5 diet tips that work | Photo credit: iStock Images
- The chemical reaction that takes place in the body is known as metabolism.
- Metabolic rate tends to slow down with advancing age
- Read on to learn about some diet hacks that can help boost metabolism.
New Delhi: The chemical reaction that takes place in the body is known as metabolism. When trying to lose weight, people often opt for methods to increase their metabolic rate because it’s an effective way to get rid of those stubborn calories. However, helping with weight loss is not the only function of metabolism. Some other roles played by metabolism in the body include:
- It helps regulate blood sugar levels
- It helps stimulate blood circulation
- It promotes cell growth and repair
This rate of metabolism tends to slow down with advancing age. This is due to reduced physical activity and muscle mass. Besides exercise, there are other ways to boost their metabolism.
Tips to Boost Metabolism
Here are some dietary tips that can help boost metabolism:
- Drink : Fluids are important for boosting the body’s metabolism and providing it with hydration. Studies have shown the benefits of drinking cold water to support water-induced thermogenesis, which can aid in weight loss. This metabolism boost can also be aided by the consumption of green tea and coffee.
- Stock up on quercetin: A pigment found in a variety of fruits and vegetables is known as quercetin. This flavonoid can be extremely effective in boosting metabolism. Some foods you can eat to replenish quercetin can include tomatoes, berries, apples, etc.
- Don’t miss the protein: Protein is considered the building block of the body and also happens to be one of the most common nutrients that people lack. This nutrient is essential for boosting metabolism without eating more. You can eat foods such as eggs, chicken, lentils, beans, nuts, etc.
- Lose the fructose: Filling up on sugar is never a good idea as it can have a detrimental effect on the body. Table sugar is made up of one molecule of glucose and one molecule of fructose. Experts recommend losing fructose intake because its metabolism leads to the formation of uric acid. As fruits also contain fructose, they should be eaten in moderation for maximum benefits. Apparently, mangoes have one of the highest levels of fructose.
- Get your spices: A list of ingredients in the kitchen can help boost your metabolism, these ingredients are your spices. A variety of spices such as ginger, pepper, turmeric, etc. can be effective in losing weight and improving metabolism.
Disclaimer: The tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or dietitian before starting any fitness program or making any changes to your diet.
Get the latest health news, healthy eating, weight loss, yoga and fitness tips, more updates on Times Now